Q: What are LASIK Qualifications?
A: A proper candidate for LASIK will meet all the necessary LASIK candidate requirements. Becoming a candidate for LASIK first requires taking a preliminary test for eligibility. This test determines whether a LASIK procedure will be safe and successful for the patient. Someone who does not meet these LASIK surgery qualifications should reconsider their needs for corrective eye surgery. Simply wanting to decrease one’s dependency on glasses or contacts is not enough.
Determining a patient’s LASIK qualifications requires several steps and looks at the following:
- A thorough inspection of a patient’s medical history, e.g., diabetes could be a disqualification
- Whether a patient is pregnant
- The patient’s age:
- Patients should be at least 18, and have had a stable vision/prescription for at least one year
- Overall health of the eyes:
- The retina should be healthy, eye pressure must be withing range, the cornea should have proper thickness
- Whether or not the eye has any current diseases, inflammation, scarring or infections
Be sure to take our self-evaluation test. This simple questionnaire is designed to be an easy preliminary step to determine if you would be a fitting candidate for LASIK surgery. A more thorough in-office consultation may then be scheduled to determine LASIK surgery qualifications. It is vital that these LASIK qualifications are determined for all candidates for LASIK eye surgery. LASIK is a delicate procedure that requires candidates to meet all the necessary requirements before committing to the surgery.
If the testing determines that you are not a candidate for LASIK surgery, you may still have other options. It is possible you may qualify for another laser eye surgery procedure. An in-house consultation with our offices will determine your candidacy for these other procedures.
- 18632 Beach Blvd., Suite 100
- Huntington Beach, CA 92648
- Optical Boutique
- 6300 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 104
- Los Angeles, CA 90048
To schedule an appointment, or ask a question, please call us at (855) 456-2253 or fill out this form and we'll get back to you shortly!